FROM THE LADIES OF CHARITY USA ADVOCACY COMMITTEE
National Migration Week is September 18-24. The 109th World Day of Migrants and Refugees (WDMR) is Sunday, September 24, 2023, with the theme, “Free to choose whether to migrate or to stay.”
Pope Francis’ message for the 2023 World Day of Migrants and Refugees is “…even as we work to ensure that in every case migration is the fruit of a free decision, we are called to show maximum respect for the dignity of each migrant… the important thing is that there always be a community ready to welcome, protect, promote and integrate everyone, without distinctions and without excluding anyone.”
As people of faith driven by the demands of Gospel justice to serve people on the margins of society, the Ladies of Charity USA recognizes the moral imperative to shift the focus of US border policy from one of militarization to one of care. Therefore, we urge Congress to “welcome the stranger” by:
- passing legislation that supports the dignity of immigrants, including Black, Brown
and Indigenous immigrants.
- investing in programs that support immigrants and communities.
- divesting from programs that militarize the border and criminalize immigrants.
Our advocacy can make a difference for migrants, refugees and those seeking asylum. We encourage our Association members throughout the U.S. to:
- educate themselves about the issue of immigration and the current U S. policies;
- work with other agencies to welcome migrants, refugees and asylum seekers who are brought to their areas;
- volunteer to teach English as a Second Language (ESL); and
- TAKE ACTION, using the links below:
Note: The deadline for signing the letter to Congress is August 31, 2023. Please promote to your family, friends and parishioners.
The Ladies of Charity USA, through acts of humility, simplicity and charity, is committed to doing what is required in our nation and in our communities, to positively impact those who are refugees, migrants or seeking asylum and a place of safety and dignity and welcome.
Thank you for your advocacy.