The Ladies of Charity USA Advocacy Committee is joining with Network Lobby for Catholic Social Justice to call on President Biden to make good on his campaign promise to “support a study of reparations.” HR 40 and S 40 are now in Congress, but it has been introduced for 34 years without a floor vote! Therefore, we ask President Biden to issue an Executive Order to establish the Commission to Study Reparations.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Pray for Reparations
- Take Next Steps (below the prayer)
During this month dedicated to celebrating and honoring Black history, we pause to reflect on the sin of racism—the original sin of our country. We come together, believing the collective power of prayer and our growing consciousness, as we reflect on the myriad of ways our lives have been impacted by racist policies and beliefs. As Dr. King said,”The time is always right to do the right thing.”
Good and gracious God,
We lament the lasting legacy of slavery and the many manifestations thereof, yielding racist policies and deep trauma that has continued for centuries since its ceremonial ending in the United States.
We commit ourselves to ongoing repair and redress of these sins.
We lament our complicity in allowing racist policies and practices to continue.
May we have the courage to disrupt and avert any system of inequity.
We affirm ourselves as members of one human family, believing that what affects one of us, affects all of us.
May we commit ourselves to seeing and hearing one another, and being our siblings’ caretaker.
We lament that H.R. 40 has been introduced in Congress for 34 years without a floor vote and, now,
We call on President Biden to establish, by Executive Order, the Commission to Study Reparations.
NOW is the time.
We share these next steps as recommended by the Network Lobby:
1) Write a letter/card/postcard to President Biden—urging him to honor his campaign commitment to establish a commission to study reparations.
- Learn more here: https://networklobby.org/presidents-day-letter-writing-campaign-to-president-biden/
- Email a photo of yourself holding your letter or postcard to email@example.com (so we can amplify your efforts on social media)!
- Send your letter/card/postcard to the White House via snail mail!
- NOTE: This campaign will extend through February 24th
2) What To Expect from the 118th Congress (Virtual Event)
Thursday, March 2, 2023
7:00-8:00 PM Eastern / 4:00-5:00 PM Pacific
An in-depth look at the year ahead, examining how the members of 118th Congress will impact our work to build an inclusive, multiracial, and multi-faith democracy by shaping better federal policy.