Article by Albertine McGurk, LCUSA Past President
Photos by John Caulfield, Photographer
On January 21, 2011, the diocesan phase of the cause for the beatification and canonization of Sr. Marie de Mandat-Grancey, DC (1837-1915), founder of Mary’s House at Ephesus, Turkey, was officially opened at the Kansas City-St. Joseph Diocese of Missouri Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. Bishop Robert W. Finn presided with Kansas Archbishop Joseph Naumann, Archbishop Emeritus Giuseppe Berardini of Smyrna, Turkey and Bishop Emeritus Raymond Boland of Kansas City-St. Joseph participating.
Mary’s House is a small stone home believed to be where Mary lived with St. John following the death and resurrection of Jesus. It is a place of pilgrimage for both Christians and Muslims.The site of the home was identified through a vision of the mystic, Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich. In 1886, Sr. Marie was assigned to work at a French hospital in Smyrna, Turkey. Inspired by the vision and writings of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich, she prevailed upon two Vincentian priest to search for the home; and, miraculously, the site was found. Coming from a noble family in France, Sr. Marie used family resources to purchase and restore the property.
After visiting the home three years ago, Bishop Finn was asked by Archbishop Ruggera Franceshini of Smyrna to take the cause in his place, a request Bishop Finn found hard to refuse. When the diocesan phase of the cause is completed the records will be sealed and moved to the next stage of investigation.
Those in attendance at the opening included Daughters of Charity, members of the Congregation of the Mission, Ladies of Charity and several members of Sr. Marie’s family from France.
To learn more about Sr. Marie go to: srmarie-lorraine.blogspot.com
The service was beautifully photographed by LCUSA friend John Caulfield, Photographer. Visit his link at http://www.caulfieldphotos.com/SisterMarie to view all his photos.